May 29, 2009

Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker - First Smoking Session

Setting up the new Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker was a lot of fun, but we knew the real fun wouldn't start until until we were able put some meat in the smoker and invite some friends over to taste the end product. We had heard and read all kinds of great reviews about the Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker, but being from the Show-Me State we decided it was time for the smoker to "Show Us" what it had and that is exactly what it did over the Memorial Day weekend.

At 8:00 a.m. on Sunday I started the charcoal and began to settle in for a long day of smoking. I started the process by filling my Weber Charcoal Chimney up with Cowboy Hardwood Charcoal and let the coals get nice and hot.

Once the coals were fired up and ready to go I dumped them in to the bottom of the smoker.

Next, I poured the remainder of the bag of charcoal onto the lit coals - this provided enough fuel for about 7 hours of smoking.

After all of the charcoal was on the smoker I placed 7 good sized chunks of Hickory onto the coals for smoking. I normally like to do a mix of hickory and oak, but I was out of oak.

After all of the fuel was in the smoker and ready to go I placed the body of the smoker on the base and installed the water pan. I filled the water pan with 6 cans of Bud Light.

While the charcoal in the chimney was lighting I rubbed a pork shoulder (on both sides) with extra virgin olive oil and Pork Barrel BBQ's All American Spice Rub - the best all-purpose dry rub around.

At 8:30 a.m. the coals were ready, the hickory was on and the water pan was filled with beer and we were ready to start smoking. I placed the first grill rack into the smoker and placed the pork shoulder onto it.

I like to smoke my meats at a temperature of 250 degrees.


While the pork shoulder was beginning to smoke I applied extra virgin olive oil and Pork Barrel BBQ's All American Spice Rub dry rub to a brisket in the same fashion as I had done with the pork shoulder.

At 10:00 a.m. I placed the brisket in to the smoker on the same rack as the pork shoulder. The picture below is of the brisket just being put onto the grill rack and the pork shoulder after 1.5 hours inside the smoker.

While the pork shoulder and brisket were smoking I cleaned two racks of ribs - make sure you take the membrane off of the ribs before you cook them!!! I applied extra virgin olive oil and Pork Barrel BBQ's All American Spice Rub dry rub to the ribs and let them set for about 30 minutes.


At 11:30 a.m. I placed the second grill rack in to the smoker and placed my rib rack on the grill. I then placed my two racks of ribs in the rib rack.
Finally, I prepared a whole chicken in the same fashion as the other meats (extra virgin olive oil and Pork Barrel BBQ's All American Spice Rub dry rub). The chicken went on the grill at 2:30 p.m.

The below picture is at 6:30 p.m. just before pulling all of the meat off of the smoker. The chicken had been in the smoker for 4 hours, the ribs for 7 hours, the brisket for 8.5 hours and the pork shoulder for 10 hours.

Here is the final product - ribs and pulled pork!!

More of the final product - chicken and brisket (notice the nice smoke ring on the brisket).

Heath and the final meal - smoked pulled pork, smoked brisket, smoked ribs, smoked turkey, corn on the cob, baked potatoes, salad and some nice bread - a great meal that was shared with some great friends!!

After our first use of the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker I must say that the smoker lived up to the reviews - she worked like a charm. We can't wait to get our two Smokey Mountain Cooker's out on the Competitive BBQ circuit this year!

We'll keep you posted on all of her stories as she produces some of the best BBQ you'll ever have.Don't forget to visit us on the web at www.porkbarrelbbq.com!!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

  1. Great post. Did you buy the new larger 22 1/2" WSM? Also, is that how you always start your fire? I fill it with coal and wood and then add the burning coal from the chimney on top. Fire lasts a good 18 hours that way. How about yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did get the new larger WSM - lots of great space!!!

    I've had good luck both ways. Just depends which side of my brain I'm thinking out of on that particular day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a Brinkmann Smoker over thirty years ago and still have it. They were not popular at all when I bought it. One of these days I would like to update to the Weber, but my wife may dismember me in the process since I have three BBQ's already. Best to you!

    Thom
    BBQing Tips From Deep In The Heart Of Oregon

    P.S. Did all of the beer go into the water pan, or was any held out for the cook?
    BBQing Tips From Deep In The Heart Of Oregon

    ReplyDelete