April 26, 2009

BBQ Around The World - Bodean's in London

I recently went to the United Kingdom and couldn't wait to sink my teeth into some of the UK's finest cuisine - fish & chips, bangers & mash, and Guinness Pie. The one thing I never planned on eating while there was barbecue - and good barbecue at that. But that is exactly what I ended up doing thanks to a couple good friends who call London home. We planned to get together for dinner and wanted to find a location where we could watch the NCAA Basketball Tournament (this is fairly difficult to do in London). My friends knew I loved barbecue and they knew that the games would be on at Bodean's - London's Original BBQ Smoke House.


I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical at first - barbecue in London? Yea, right?!?! When we arrived I have to say it looked legit - not too fancy, lots of TV's with sports on, cold beer flowing, lots of people, and to my surprise a wall of famous American barbecue sauces on display behind the counter including some of my Kansas City favorites like Gates and Arthur Bryant's. Then they gained a bit more of my respect as I noticed the framed photo's around the restaurant of the one and only Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City!!!

They at least showed me right off the bat that they at least knew what great barbecue is. The next thing they had to do was prove to me that they knew how to produce their own great barbecue. We started with an order of their Hot Buffalo Chicken Wings and were very happy with the first taste of home we would experience that night. I followed up the wings with a slab of Baby Back Ribs, Fries & Coleslaw and they were top notch ribs. I've had better here at home, but I've also had much worse. I'd give Bodean's a 7 on a scale of 10 - which is at least 4 or 5 points higher than I could have ever imagined giving a London based barbecue restaurant.

Next time you're in London and you're craving a little bit of home why not drop into one of Bodean's locations in Soho, Tower Hill, Clapham, Fulham, or Westbourne Grove? Check out Bodean's on the web at www.bodeansbbq.com.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment