August 2, 2009

Heath, how did you get into BBQ?


Since Brett and I started Pork Barrel BBQ I've been asked dozens of times by friends, family and customers how I got into BBQ and why I decided to turn my love for it into a business venture. Although there are a number of reasons that influenced my decision, none was as big of an influence as my dad, Rex Hall.

I've posted before on how important his love of the grill was and how much it has influenced me and helped get me to where I am today. Growing up my dad was like the postal delivery man of the grill - rain, sleet, snow, hail, sun, fog, hot, cold it didn't matter, winter, spring, summer and fall he was outside grilling up chicken, ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, quail, corn, potatoes and just about anything else that can be grilled for our family meal.

So the most complete answer to how I got into BBQ and decided to turn my love for it into a business is because of my dad, a great teacher of many lessons to me. He taught me how to BBQ - from lighting a fire to seasoning meat. He, along with my mom, taught me that no star was out of my reach if I wanted to hold it in my hand - all I had to do was reach for it and work hard. They taught me the importance of doing whatever you are doing to the best of your ability - no one can ask more if you do your best. They also taught me about the importance of integrity, honesty and good communication - all traits we promise to bring to Pork Barrel BBQ on a daily basis.

Dad, thanks for sharing one of your passions with me because without your guidance and lessons there would be no Pork Barrel BBQ today.
The picture above was the first BBQ contest I ever participated in (and I was lucky enough to be working with my dad) - it was held in Jefferson City, Missouri at the Jefferson City Public Library in the mid-1990's. We've come a long way since then and when I say "we've" I mean my dad and I and our quest to always provide the best BBQ to our friends and family that we are capable of providing. Thanks again dad!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment